Pre-Loved doesn't mean Less-Loved...How this Mama practices her 3 R's


We all know that tune by Jack Johnson, 'Reduce, Reuse, Recycle.' And if you're a penny pinchin', smart shoppin' Mama like me, then you know where to save on your kiddies' clothing.  I'm a huge fan of local consignment shops and perhaps those of you local 'Miami Mamas' have heard of a few.  I currently have two favorites, both in Coral Gables, FL.  Why do I love being a consignee? Because I get to get my hands on the latest kids fashion, brands, fads and shoes at a fraction of the cost.  It's a win win fellow Mamas! Now be under no illusions about my saving tactics because I still buy off the department store rack clothing for my little girlies as long as there's a conspicuous sign that reads SALE :)  Okay, okay, I admit that I cave at an adorably irresistible un-sale item every now and again.  I'm not that disciplined.  

A great deal of times I'll find unworn, tags still on, clothing at consignment prices.  Other times, I'll have fallen in love with say, Gymboree's current seasonal line but don't necessarily want to pay $35.00 for a cotton dress and low and behold, it makes it's way to a rack at one of my local consignment shops, score!  I love when that happens! Just today I was at Peek A Boo (local consignment in Coral Gables) and was lucky enough to stumble upon Toke children's shoes for $24 that were brand NEW in the BOX.  Fantastic! I was a very happy consignment customer.  I just became a customer of Peek A Boo and I'm pleasantly satisfied with their prices and organization.  Go visit them, you're sure to find some fabulous finds.  I've been a loyal customer of The Children's Exchange located in Coral Gables (off Sunset Drive) for the past seven years and I cannot say enough about how organized, clean and stocked full of great finds they are there.  Check them out, you will be strolling out with a bag or two.  I'm never disappointed at my children's consignment shopping experience because I always find something my girlies need and sometimes surprised to find a real steal.

My best advice to those new to shopping at children's consignment shops is to first scope out where they're at locally and visit them.  Go in and get the feel for the owners and see how they organize their merchandise, inspect the clothing and/or gear that they have.  Get a list of the brands they carry (the ones I shop at keep a line of high end brands, i.e., Gymboree, Baby Gap, Juicy Couture, Janie & Jack, etc.) and also get a list of what they will not carry in their shop as well.  Every children's consignment shop will have different policies and practices so get to know them so that you're not mislead.  Find out what percentage they pay out (most do a 40/60).  You have a choice of getting a check or using up your credit.  I never have them cut a check for my sold items because I simply use my credit toward merchandise I need.  Once you've done your simple homework, you're set to shop and sell your pre-loved or gently used children's clothing and/or gear.  It's that simple!

The experience of building a consistent relationship with these children's consignment shop owners is one that stretches beyond just some cute shoes and a holiday dress.  It's a place where you feel relaxed enough to shop with your kids and save a slew of money in your pocketbook.  If you're friendly enough, you'll make it to being able to count on them to watch out for a favorite or needed item or two.  So save yourself some $$, reduce your clothing clutter and recycle your children's ever so fast growing 'out of' clothing.  Happy Shopping!

♥ Mama Scribble~

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Site Design By Designer Blogs