Pitch & {Wait}

My writing tools...good ole' cup'o coffee missing

When I was in graduate school pursuing my MFA in Creative Writing, the last thing on my mind was one day getting 'published', seriously.  My focus was simply to learn the craft of writing and honing my skills (or lack thereof).  My passion lies in expressing myself (duh!).  I discovered my passion for poetry and chiseled out the 'writer from within' during my three year study.  And yes, I pursued a Master's degree with two toddlers and, at the time, one more baby on the way.  And yes, I was NUTS...  Luckily, I had an incredible fan cheering me on, my darling husband.  Thank you babe, I love you so much! 

Before all that had taken place, it took me a while to realize that 'writing' was something I wanted to actually do as a career.  Of course, I knew that it entailed the possibility of never ever being acknowledged or even noticed in the world but I didn't care.  My reasons were not 'ego' centered.  The fact that I felt that I had a 'voice' worth sharing with whomever wanted to listen (even if it was just me or a handful of loved ones) was good enough for me.  So my studies came and went.  I wrote a novel as my Master's Thesis and that was that.  

My Thesis
Six months after I graduated, I mustered up the courage (yes, courage because you need it when you put yourself out there, vulnerable, scared and doubting yourself 'all the time') and I strung a small article together.  I had been lurking and reading a few of my favorite parenting websites for a while, you know, getting a feel for their audience's taste and their particular 'voice' style.

I wrote a short and humorous article about kiddie parties and I how I felt about them (somewhat). 
When I wrote it, it felt easier for me to come across as a parent who was completely 'over' the entire party thing.  Bear in mind that I LOVE parties and I always try to think of new ways to celebrate my girls' birthday celebrations as uniquely as possible.  It was a fun project for me, nevertheless.  
I took a leap of 'I have no idea what I'm doing but here I go' and I pitched my very first parenting article.

I took a deep breath.

I bit my lower lip and squinted my face and....

I clicked send.

Then I closed my computer.

And I never thought about it again.

Until...

Three weeks later I received a very short email from one of the Babble editors.  Waaaaaaa??!!!!!  I was in total disbelief! Seriously, I was giddy that someone had actually responded to my FIRST PITCH!

*A complete RARE occurrence* (from what I've been told in the writing world).  

After several e-mails back and forth and finally a contract, I landed my first published article with Babble.


I love their site and their content is informative, entertaining and inspiring among other things.  


Of course, I always like to pay respect to those that took some credit in helping me meld my ideas together through an online course.  I'd like to thank Mediabistro for offering a 'Writing about Parenting' course with author, Christine Coppa.  Thank you Christine for your input, advice and chats.  You rock! 



I look forward to continuing to pitch ideas and articles to my favorite parenting sites and/or mags and I'll take the rejections with grace and learn from each and every one of them.  I'll keep my eyes plugged onto my lap top screen reading away while thoughts prance through my head, as well as, my fingers clacking away at the big and small ideas that infiltrate my mind.  The one thing I can only hope to accomplish from all of this one day is to join one of their teams as a 'paid' fellow mom blogger (a mama can dream can't she?!)  

Until then, I'll continue to string my words together to form content 'worth reading' and pitch and wait... because 'good things come to those who wait' and because I have a great big fan rooting me on, no matter the outcome...my darling hubby...you are my hero...thank you, my love...

2 comments:

Edith said...

Nice blog, Vanessa. I know how hard that submission process is. But what about that novel? Are you going to submit it?

Vanessa Jubis said...

Thank you Edith! I've since pitched several articles and no bites. No matter, I'm continuing though!

About the novel. I know that it's not my 'best' work. I'm currently reconsidering the plot and certain conflicts in the novel. Some of my characters need more fleshing out and the length of the novel in its entirety is a bit rushed (for me). Once I feel confident about what I've generated, perhaps I'll consider publishing. For now, I'm allowing it to brew and simmer as I slash and rearrange things. I know you you get me! :)

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Site Design By Designer Blogs