Touch

A giggle, a smirk, a caress.

A tap, a hug, a smile.

A wordless, "I'll sit here with you for a while."

Most of us can agree that when words fail us, there is always the physical language that we can rely on.

Touch.  

These moments happen more often than not.  Words aren't enough, at times.
Words can't soothe, always.  Words interfere, sometimes.  

Body language.  It speaks volumes.

It can cure simple woes with a simple touch.
It can remind you that you're alive and breathing.
Hugs can hold you together when everything else is falling apart.

The first time I met my mother-in-law, it was at a wedding of about 400 people.  I was nervous.  I was actually meeting just about every family member that I'd one day marry into at the same time in one big place.

I stood in a crowd of happy guests and people dancing all around me.  My boyfriend, now husband, assured me that there was nothing I needed to worry about.  Earlier that day he left a bouquet of brilliant yellow roses at my apartment along with a note he had written that read "I know that my family will see in you, the same bright star that brought a song to my heart."



Sure enough, in the midst of an overwhelming cacophony of voices and music, we met.  Perhaps it was the loud music or my surprise with her adorable stature (she's 4'10-I think) but I was lost for words.  But words were not needed.  Instead, I slightly bent over and kissed her cheek and smiled.  In return, she held my hand and gently squeezed it while smiling back with a sincere squint in her eyes.

There were no need for words because at that very instant her simple touch said it all.  We made a connection and it has only grown stronger and closer over the years.  I will never forget that day or how I felt.  I find this to be simply magical.      

Eye contact, it connects you and grounds you in an instant.
A gentle palm on the middle of your back... or a slight squeeze of the forearm.

Words don't matter when the eyes or the body speaks.

The other day I cupped my daughter's face in the palms of my hands.  Our faces were inches apart.  I looked into her eyes, she looked into mine and we smiled.  We listened to our eyes and heard each other.  Nothing else was needed.    

When words fail or simply have no place in a moment, there are always hugs or the simple act holding of someone's hand.  Touch IS universal and powerful...

2 comments:

Holly from 300 Pounds Down said...

This is absolutely sweet! I love that you saved that note. How wonderful!

Vanessa Jubis said...

Thank you, Holly! I'm a sucker for mementoes :)

V.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Site Design By Designer Blogs