Baby naming: What's in a name?

Choosing a name for a baby is an incredibly special time for an expecting mother or couple.
I remember feeling passionate and in love with the names we chose for our daughters.

Names are given with love and affection and almost always with a reason for that given name.  
There is always a story to be told behind a name.

Here is my story of how we came to name our three sweet daughters.

First Daughter: 
I knew exactly what I would name my first born daughter before she was even conceived.  I told my husband the day I had decided it.  It was after watching Audrey Hepburn's 1954 film, Sabrina.

"It's a beautiful name." Darling husband remarked.  After watching the film, I fell in love with the character Sabrina. Her charm and elegance and her well-rounded culture simply fascinated me.
I imagined one day for my own daughter to possess these qualities.  So there were no questions about it, our Sabrina got her name from a screen actress.

Sabrina is of Celtic origin.  I've seen many meanings to her name, two of which are 'princess'
and 'boundary line.'  I also found it to potentially have an Arabic origin meaning 'patience.'

Her middle name, Isabella, is of Italian origin meaning 'God is my oath.'
Isabella also derives from the Monarch of Spain , which was also the person responsible for financing Christopher Columbus' voyage to the 'New World' in 1492.

Sabrina's name holds all the wonder and fascination I imagined for her.  Her name is a gem in my soul. She is highly right-brained and holds a vision for beauty, sophistication and expression through the arts.  She's always figuring out a way to design or create something out of anything.  She looks at nature as her living canvas and appreciates all of its wonder and beauty.    

~Sabrina Isabella~ 
Royalty, charm and elegance... A born artist. 

Image via Google

Second Daughter:
When we were expecting our second daughter (but didn't know it because we wanted the gender to be a surprise), I was having a difficult time choosing a girl name.  We had already chosen a boy name but the girl name was no where to be decided.  I was 8 months pregnant and still no 'potential' girl name.

It was a muggy and rainy afternoon in early August and I had been breaking my head over a few potential girl names but none of them 'spoke' to me.  They didn't sound like 'her' if she was indeed a girl.  All along, I hoped she was a girl.

We were driving around looking for parking because my husband was going to buy some tea at Starbucks.  He gave up on finding parking and decided to stay on the curb but before he got out of the car he turned to me and stared at me for a few seconds and uttered, "What about Luna Mia?" I'll never forget the relief and joy I felt when I heard it.  I said, "THAT'S it! That's 'her' name!"

Darling husband was shocked at my instant approval of the name.  "Really?!" He said.  I absolutely loved the name and felt it in my womb that it was 'her' name.  There are some things that you just know.  So when our Luna was born, the name suited her just perfectly.  She was born in the wee hours of the night so she already embodied her namesake.  Luna Mia means 'My Moon' in Italian.

It always warms my heart to know that my loving husband named his second born daughter.  All I did was approve of his choice.

For me, Luna's name symbolizes simple beauty as well as, a mysterious but magical quality to it.  Her name also somehow reminds me of the beautiful dragonfly I so love.  Luna is always making up lyrics and makes up her own melodies.  She's a little songbird that is attracted to most things musical.  There's always a song in her head.  She has a natural inclination to play instruments like the piano and does so with ease and enthusiasm.  Music flows through her soul.     

~Luna Mia~
Beauty, mystery and magic... A true alchemist. 

Image via Facebook

Third Daughter: 
With my last pregnancy, we had decided to learn the gender of the baby well in advance.  Being that we'd have a third daughter, it didn't take too long for us to come up with a name for her.  Still, we spent many months deciding on a suitable name for baby girl number three.  

I knew that no matter what I wanted a french name either as her first or middle name.  I love french names.  I also knew that I wanted one of her names to start with the letter 'K' (don't ask me why, I just love the look of that letter.)  

There were a few names in the running.  Some sounded too ordinary while others sounded too ethnic or old lady like.  It didn't matter too much to me to name her after any dead relatives either.  Plus, my sweet paternal grandmother's name was very pretty but way too overused nowadays (Gabriella.)  
I was looking along the lines of unique and beautiful.

After much deliberation and interchanging several names as pairs, we narrowed it down to Kalina as her first name and Colette as her second name.  Darling husband ultimately chose her first name, Kalina  and I chose her second name, Colette. 

Kalina holds a number of origins.  One of them belongs to 'Princess Kalina of Bulgaria.'  
Her name also has a slavic and hawaiian origin meaning 'Flower.' We chose her name for its rare quality and sweet and gentle meaning.  A beautiful flower is she.  

Colette has a french and greek origin.  Its meaning is 'Victory of the people.'         

The first time I heard her name I imagined a rare gem of a soul.  There was something about its unique quality that made me know that is was perfect for her.  My Kalina is a gentle and giving soul.  
She's thoughtful and always finding a way to make her loved ones smile.  I've never met another Kalina.  This brings a smile to my face.     

For me, no other derivative of Kalina (or names that 'sound' similar) comes close to the pure beauty and rarity her name possesses.  I love that her name is very unique.  Her name will always leave a lasting impression.    

~Kalina Colette~
Sweet and delicate... A peacemaker. 

Image via Google

What was your experience in choosing a name for your child/children? 

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Site Design By Designer Blogs