Sitting in a tree

The girls and I were driving around doing some errands today.  We had just dropped Kalina off at her pre-school skills class at Gymboree.

Sabrina and Luna were singing their own song in the back seat.  It was a change from Adele's 21 album (they know all the songs and love the entire album.)

The day was gorgeous and sunny and crisp and the sound of their little voices in the background made it easier for me to deal with the our typical city traffic.  Always a drag to go out and drive. Ugh.

They were stuck on that playground 'Kissing' song that most people I know surely knows, "Boy and girl, sitting in a tree, Kay-Eye-Ess-Ess-Eye-En-Gee, first comes love, then comes marriage..." 
Yeah, that one!    

It was funny to hear them in the back carrying on because each time they got to the very end of the song, "Then comes the baby in the baby carriage", the cackling was loud and contagious!

They'd add their own names with a boy they 'like' and laugh even harder at the prospect of 'love and kissing and a baby!"

Of course, they later sang the song adding in their father's and my name.  I found it sweet and cute and quite funny.  My eldest made it clear that the song was right on for her dad and I.  

"Just like the song says, Mama! That's just how it happened right?!" Sabrina exclaimed.

"Yes, seems about right. After the love and marriage, first came you, then Luna and then Kalina.
Not that simply but yes, pretty much..." I added.  

They continued enjoying their silly laughter and added other names to their tune for the fun of it all.

Their laughter allowed me to savor the moment.  I didn't even think about the traffic!
Splotches of sunlight peeked in through parts of the tree canopy (we live in a lush part of town with large oak and ficus trees) and the ride was even more refreshing.

The song may have been silly but the singing was wonderful and it reminded me that childhood is indeed a magical time and no matter how silly a game or a song may be, the laughter accompanying it trumps all unpleasantries, traffic and all.

I also saw the confidence they have about the love that their parents have for one another.
This was special to me.  I never felt this as a child but I'm surely grateful that I can give this to my children.

It was sweet and cute and perfect... made me just want to go sit in a tree.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Site Design By Designer Blogs