How I cope with my past of being molested...I VOICE it.


The last thing that any parent ever wants to think or worry about is their child being sexually abused by anyone.  Some of you may or may not know but I was a victim of sexual molestation that started at the age of six.

My abuser was a man my Mother had partnered up with and subsequently had a child with.  Now most people are often confused about what is considered child sexual abuse because some think that if you were not raped then your case is not serious.

Here is the answer:  ANY form of a violation to one's body, including genital fondling, is considered 'Child Sexual Abuse.'  It is NOT limited to penetration.

My case of molestation included the abuser coming into my bedroom in the late hours of the night, usually after he had engaged in a significant amount of snorting cocaine (he was a drug dealer).  He would then sneak into my bed and I was always awoken by him fondling my genital area and telling me that if I EVER told ANYONE, the Devil would come get me and do very bad things to me.

I suffered from bedwetting until I was eleven years of age.  I was always afraid to get up and go to the bathroom at night just to avoid stirring his attention.

The very first incident of my sexual abuse occurred after my mother had given birth to my younger sister.  He would always strike when my mother was asleep and probably exhausted from caring for a newborn.  That day, he called me to the back room (the only bedroom) in the small dark apartment we resided in.

My Mother had fallen asleep with my sister on the couch.  The bedroom door was ajar and he was standing behind the door peeking his head out to one side asking me to walk in.  He was standing behind the door with his jeans and underwear down to his knees.  When I came around the door and saw what he was doing I was stunned and paralyzed with fear, not being able to utter a single word.  Being six years old, my height was directly in front of his genital area and I remember the sour stench of his private area.

He wanted me to touch his penis and all I remember doing was nodding my head answering 'no' and wanting to squint my little eyes from seeing the terrible sight of his nakedness.  I was afraid, confused and wanting my Mother to wake up and save me.  That incident passed and I never told her because I was afraid of her not believing me.

For the next five years, just about every single night, my bedroom was invaded by a sexual predator that I was forced to call 'Papi' (spanish for Daddy), I was forced to obey his orders and never talk back because otherwise, he'd threaten to flush me down the toilet or burn my fingers on the stove.  He once turned the stove burners on high, they were bright orange, and placed my hand so close to the heat I was afraid that I would never be able to use my hands again.  This was his way of 'keeping me in line', something I never understood.

His mode of discipline included a cruel and often tormenting style that would leave any child completely dumbstruck.  The worst part for me was that I knew that he was NOT my biological Father.

How terrible, huh?! Why would a six year old be afraid of telling the truth?  This happens all the time and it's a terrible tactic that the abuser will use to control the child and their sick addiction of abusing an innocent child.  

My Mother never realized what was occurring right in her home.  I've gone through my moments of anger toward her and how she was not completely attuned to my needs and issues.  It has taken me many years to process and know that my Mother would have NEVER have allowed for me to be hurt in such a way had she'd been privy to the reality of my nightmare.

As as child, I was often recluse in school, I'd shy away from adults and I'd never talk about how I felt, never mind sharing my fear of the bad man that terrorized me when the moon was out and the the house was silent.

Many years later I would find out that Mother too had her own set of traumas and issues that did not and has not allowed her to escape the confines of her own turmoil.  It would not be until my Mother was in her early fifties that she would finally confess to me that she too was sexually abused by her very own Brother when she was ten years of age.  He would threaten her with statments like "If you tell Daddy, I'll kill you, Bitch".  She would cry and fear for her life as he tried to make her give him oral sex.  It's a vicious cycle that continues until one person takes a stand and says 'enough is enough', this cannot continue.

It took me four years after the abuse had stopped for me to come forward and confess to my Mother what had been done to me.  It was the Summer of 1992.

My abuser had been incarcerated for dealing drugs in the Spring of 1988.  Although his jail time was due to drug dealing, I thank his incarceration to feeing me from his prowess as a sexual predator.  I mustered up the courage to share my fear and shame with my Mother because I knew he was locked up.

The day I told her, I stumbled upon every single word that was uttered from my mouth until it all spilled out of me like a toxic fume under pressure.  I was about to implode from the angst and the years of fear that were seared in my mind, body and soul.  Upon learning of my story, my Mother exhibited rage and sadness and hatred and a brief moment of denial because she could not swallow the idea of her daughter being harmed in such a way.

It was a terrible and liberating day for me.

Today I choose to be open and candid about my experience with childhood sexual abuse.  I've suffered the pains of depression, shame and anger for what happened to me.  It is NEVER the child's fault and the predator will do everything in their sick power to make that child believe that they have done something wrong because they are the ones full of sick shame.

The very act of talking and sharing my story with all of you helps me to cope with that negative episode in my early life.

I WILL continue to be a VOICE and a SAFE HARBOR for anyone who needs support, a compassionate ear, an open heart and a mission to keep the shame and guilt OUT of this horrid experience.

My journey to healing my wounds begins with my story and my desire to let this outrage be known to ALL.  It is real, it happens and NO CHILD should ever be second guessed when it relates to ANY form of abuse, especially 'sexual abuse.'  VOICE your story and STOP the vicious cycle!

I will not stay quiet.  I will not give up this fight.  I will not allow for another loved one to be violated so long as I have a VOICE.  I will not tolerate the SILENCE.  I am a Woman, Wife, Mother, Daughter, Sister, Niece and Friend and I WILL NOT SHUT UP on this issue...

Openly,
Vanessa Jubis~ 

I will close with one of my favorite quotes by Carl G. Jung:
"I am not what happened to me, I am what I choose to become"~ 

32 comments:

Anonymous said...

VANESSA YOU ARE A SPECIAL PERSON. God has you in our lives for you to teach us to be strong! Xoxo

Vanessa Jubis said...

Thank you for your support!
V.J.

Linda said...

You are the most beautiful woman I know. It is not your outer beauty...which is in itself dazzling, that brings me to the peace of this belief...it is who you are inside. It is the inner strength you have tapped into. It is the voice you acknowledge and deeply trust and abide by. It is the courage you have mustered where you can come to this place and, no longer shrink, but stand tall, able to reach out and offer a hand to others who are suffering or have suffered.

I have been, in a way, a victim myself, of the evil of which you speak, and I am so proud to know you and to stand beside you as someone who loves and treasures who you are, deeply and dearly.

I thank God for sending you into my life.

Much love and many tight hugs, Linda

Vanessa Jubis said...

Linda (my soul Mother),

I am deeply moved by your loving support, encouragement and confession. I too am blessed to have you in my life...no person is a coincidence in our lives and I'm eternally grateful to YOU!

I love you...
V.J.

Chic Mommy USA said...

Vanessa, your strength is an example of the amazing gifts God gives us to cope with the horrors of this life. You are a VOICE of truth, assurance and help for many others that are still struggling with the darkness and traps of silence.
You are a wonderful woman! Thank you for sharing your story!

Andrea Askowitz said...

Vanessa,
Thank you so much for being out about this issue. It's SO important, as you know. You're awesome.

Love, Andrea

Anonymous said...

1 in 4 children is abused. 1 IN 4! That's a staggering statistic. I commend you for being so brutally honest about your experience. I agree that speaking out, honestly and without shame or fear, leads to awareness and healing. A person's own abuse is traumatic enough, but I do think a parent's heart is ripped apart even more when it's your child/children having suffered. I pray for your continued healing, as well as for all who have experienced this as a victim and as a parent.

Vanessa Jubis said...

Andrea, thank you for your support and encouragement. This is a fight I will not let up on. Thank you!

V.J.

Vanessa Jubis said...

Liseth, thank you for your kind words and support. We need to continue to VOICE our stories and words that will heal and help others. Thank you!

V.J.

Vanessa Jubis said...

The statistics are staggering. 1 in 4 is such an unsettling feeling of another child being potentially sexually abused (or any abuse for that matter). My healing begins here, with all of you supporting and sharing your own stories. We will continue to VOICE our stories. Thank you for your continued support.

V.J.

motherof2 said...

Nani,you r my sister and i love u dearly i didnt know the whole full story of what MY FATHER did to u, i wish that it was me instead of u.You didnt deserve that at all u have always protected me as a child and i wish i wouldve have done the same when that monster did this horriable thing to u..You r my hero and always will be i love u

Vanessa Jubis said...

My sister, NOBODY deserves this. Not you nor me or ANYONE. This was not your fault and you should not feel like you could have prevented this. An abuser is a sick individual and they need to be removed from society otherwise, they will be tempted to harm yet another child. I urge you to simply keep your children safe from him and report ANYTHING you find suspicious. I love you now and always...
Your big sis,
Nani

Michelle said...

Vanessa,

Thank you so much for sharing your story. I'm also a survivor of child molestation and rape. It took me many years before I could tell anyone because I was so full of shame. I hope that the women and young girls who experience this now (and they do, everyday all over the U.S.) don't have to live with that kind of shame and guilt for having done absolutely nothing wrong. You're helping to right a very grievous wrong by coming forward and placing the blame on exactly who deserves it, the perpetrator.

One of the things I do to try to help is to volunteer as an advocate for Sexual assault victims; I go to the hospital and hold their hand and listen, help them get the things they need and to be heard by the care workers and police. It's hard, but very satisfying work. Maybe something you'd like to do once the girls get older?

Thank you again for sharing this horrible story openly and without shame. You're setting the example!

Vanessa Jubis said...

Michelle, thank you for your continued support and encouragement. It's astonishing to me how many individuals have had to experience such a horrific violation. I feel for you and the innocent child that you were and how it has affected you for the remainder of your life. The fortunate ones that have never been abused don't realize that this form of violation and abuse stays with you forever. Yes, one may overcome the emotional battle but your body retains memory of the abuse. It lingers in our everyday lives and we are hyper vigilant of anyone that may potentially be a predator to an innocent child or anyone for that matter.

I'm grateful for your constant volunteering support to those who are victims, Michelle. It is truly a self-less act. Yes, I would very much be willing to lend a warm hand, open heart and a compassionate ear for those in need once my young daughters become older.

Thank you again...
V.J.

HollyM said...

Vanessa,
Thank you for sharing your story...I agree it feels good getting it out in the open. I too am a victim of childhood molestation by my Father. And I too never spoke about it until later in life. At age 17 I told my mother who @ that time seemed to be more upset that I had not told her sooner. But she too (along with all her sisters)had been the victims of molestation from their Uncle as well as by her Step-father. She never told anyone either. It amazes me the power these sicko's possess! In my case, I actually wanted to protect my father, I knew what he did was totally wrong, but I didn't want people to think badly about him. I minimized what he did since after all, "there was no penetration," but it certainly ruined any form of trust I could have in him...I never experienced being Daddy's little girl which I believe has an amazingly profound impact on a girl's self esteem as well as the trust they have in others.
I have never confronted my Father directly on this, other family members have and he has denied it. I haven't spoken to him for approximately 10 years now. So far that has been my way of coping but as I get older, the sore spot is still there...
~Holly

Vanessa Jubis said...

Holly, WOW! I'm sorry about your experience. Betrayed like this by your own Father cannot be anything easy for a girl and in spite of this you still wanted to 'protect' him. That says a whole lot about you, so innocent, so self-less and so hurt by his violation. Thank you for sharing your story here with us. I hope that one day you can muster up the courage to confront him and tell him how much you hurt because of his horrid decision to molest you. You are BRAVE and NOT ALONE!

Warm regards,
V.J.

Margaret said...

Dearest Vanessa: your courage and beauty are emblematic of your inner work; those who harm children are to be pitied. Stay strong and speak truth to power, Margaret

Vanessa Jubis said...

Margaret, thank you for your support and encouragement. I agree with you, dear friend!

Love,
V.J.

Natty said...

Hi Vanessa,

It must have taken a lot of courage to write and voice your story. I'm so sorry this happened to you. I very well know about all this as I too have been a victim of molestation various times in my life :(
You are completely right in the fact that you are who you chose to be not what you were born into or what happened to you.
Thanks for your inspiration.

Unknown said...

Vanessa-

I am a friend of your husband's from New Life and I am so encouraged by your post. Voicing your abuse provides such a visible relief of the weight that's been carried around. I know this because I worked as a prosecutor for 6.5 years and can't tell you how many women and children I have seen take this courageous step and in doing this make such strides in their healing as well as that of others.

Grachu said...

VANE:A PESAR DE QUE YA CONOCIA TU HISTORIA DE VIDA,CADA VEZ QUE LEO O TE ESCUCHO HABLAR DE ESTO QUE TE PASO NO DEJO DE SENTIRME FURIOSA Y DE PENSAR QUE ESA PERSONA LO MINIMO QUE SE MERECE ES UNA MUERTE LENTA Y DOLOROSA,PUEDO PARECER CRUEL,PERO ES ASI COMO PIENSO Y AUNQUE NO HAY CONSUELO PARA QUIEN SUFRE ALGO ASI,SE QUE TODO EN LA VIDA VUELVE Y QUE EN ALGUN MOMENTO DE LA VIDA QUE LE QUEDE LO VA A PAGAR,ESPERO QUE SU ENTORNO ALGUNA VEZ SE DE CUENTA DE LA CLASE DE MONSTRUO QUE TIENEN AL LADO Y SEAN CAPACES DE ABRIR LOS OJOS.
VOS SOS UNA DE LAS MUJERES MAS FUERTE QUE CONOZCO Y ESTA ES TU MANERA DE AYUDAR A OTROS QUE PASARON POR LO MISMO QUE VOS,TE ADORO !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Andrea Clement said...

Vanessa, your story has my heart beating fast and my hands shaking. I admire your strength, your wisdom and your honesty. You inspire many people in many ways...

Love,
Andrea

Anonymous said...

Vanessa, I am in awe of you. How sad to have gone through those years of torture and that your innocence was stolen from you. How sad for your mother also to have found out that this was happening to her little girl...I can imagine the feelings of rage and guilt she must have felt for not protecting you.
Sometimes, these unfortunate experiences make us better persons. No wonder you are such a wonderful mom...you know first hand the dangers of innocence being ripped away from the most vulnerable little people. This experience has probably made you a better mom, a watchful mom, a protector and advocate for your little girls. They will be so thankful one day.
Nilda

Vanessa Jubis said...

Natty, I'm sorry for your history of abuse as well. This is a difficult issue not only the the victims but for the loved ones who later find out as well. The worst betrayal is when OUR STORIES are said to be false because some people wish to live in denial of the fact that childhood sexual abuse happens more often than we'd like. Thank you for your support and encouragement.
V.J.

Vanessa Jubis said...

Catalina, thank you! The decision to VOICE this horrid experience has been a catalyst to my healing journey. The more I share my story, the more I find out that so many others have and are suffering with the torments of this issue. Thank you for your continued support and for being a part of the JUSTICE that anyone in this awful position so very much deserves.

Warm regards,
V.J.

Vanessa Jubis said...

Grachu, thank you for your support and encouragement. I believe that my abuser needs to be, as another good friend told me, pitied. He may or may not ever really know how damaging his actions were. Love you...

V.J.

Dr Soul Soother said...

I thank you for sharing your story with me and our world. I welled up with tears of sadness. Your love, strength and compassion are healing. With so much love, Brian

Maggie at Violence UnSilenced said...

Thank you for speaking out!

stacy @bklynstacy said...

Vanessa, thank you thank you thank you for voicing your story with such clarity and wisdom and for sharing your link on BlogHer.com. I am such a huge believer in all you say: that the shame and fear these crimes embed in the survivor's soul can be lifted only by talking and sharing and knowing that the world can witness your pain and help you let it go. Thank you for being such a shining example of this. I am so happy to meet you and will share the link to your story on BlogHer.com later today. Thank you, and hugs to you.

Vanessa Jubis said...

Maggie,

Thank you for reading my story. Your work is needed and you are a treasure for creating awareness.

So grateful,
Vanessa

Vanessa Jubis said...

Stacy,

Thank you very much! So nice to meet you as well. Talking about my story was just about the hardest part. Once I 'voiced' it and shared it with the world, an enormous weight had been lifted from my heart, psyche and soul. I cannot put into words the power and force that comes forth from this act alone. I am grateful for having the courage to come forward and 'speak up' and advocate against all forms of abuse. Thank you, thank YOU for reading my story. Thank you for wanting to share it as well on your end. The more people are aware, the more us survivors can HEAL... Grateful to all who 'listen'...

Hugs to you too,
Vanessa

Annie said...

Thank you for sharing your story.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Site Design By Designer Blogs