The big O


Image via Google

Obesity.  It has sadly become the center of attention in children in this predicament.  The Huffington Post reported on a third grader weighing more than 200 pounds being removed from his home and placed into foster care.  My reaction?  Heartbroken.  Also, a 200 pound child?? Really? Sad...

The issue of weight and body image affects EVERYONE besides the person whose obese.  I have several loved ones that are currently considered 'obese' including my mother and younger sister.  It's difficult for me to see people that I love suffer and be stigmatized by the entire world.  I've never been obese but it has affected me greatly.

The saddest part is when a child, like the one mentioned in the Huffington Post is subjected to this type of enforcement.  It's a touchy predicament and it's easy to place BLAME on the parent.  I get it.  I'll admit that when I see a child between the ages of 1 and 12 that is overweight or obese, I look at the parent FIRST.  The judgments that one creates by simply 'seeing' an obese child are immeasurable.  Imagine the emotional psychological implications this child will inevitably have to deal with for the rest of his life?  He probably thinks that he's not loved or wanted or worse, a burden to society.  I cannot imagine.

Was the action taken for this child too harsh?  What did his mother 'try' to do about her son's weight?  I don't know any of these answers and I'd be lying if I told you that I don't partially agree with what was done to get this child 'healthy.'  But again, it's easier to judge and place ultimatums on the issue.

I worry about my children and the pressures of not becoming 'fat' because I also worried about this as a child.  I didn't want to look like my mother so I was always hyper aware of her 'obesity.'  My view of body image has been tainted by what I've seen in so many loved ones that have struggled with poor food choices.  Recently, one of daughter's playmates was diagnosed with Diabetes and he's only 7 years old, the same age as my eldest.  Unfortunately, diabetes runs on my maternal side of the family.  So that means that I have to be even more vigilant of the risk to my children AND myself.  Sucks!

According to the American Diabetes Association , 25.8 million children and adults in the US have diabetes.  That's 1 in 3 children and it's frightening.  The bottom line is educating oneself on food choices, reading labels, choosing sensibly and ultimately not falling for all the processed foods available especially for our children.  Yes, this is easier said than done but it CAN be done.  There are wonderful resources that one can learn from.  Here is a short list of my favorites:

www.mercola.com 
Michael Pollan's 'In Defense of Food'
Why We Get Fat

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Site Design By Designer Blogs