World Premature Awareness Day...My Sabrina's early arrival




Today we honor all the babies born prematurely.  Statistics show that 1 in 8 babies are born prematurely in the U.S.  A baby born before 37 weeks gestation is considered premature.

When I was 14 years old I participated in a campaign and walked 5 miles for a particular cause.  It was the March of Dimes that I walked for along with my aunt and little did I know that 12 years later I'd be giving birth to my first baby girl almost 6 weeks prematurely.  Life is funny that way...

My first born daughter's 'estimated' due date was February 15, 2004.  On the January 7th, 2004, my water broke while I was in TJMaxx (she wanted to shop too!)  I had been experiencing all the signs of pre-term labor but I guess that my then 'naive' mommy brain was still adjusting to the idea of being overly worried.  Plus I had an obsession that day: I needed to buy baby booties and newborn hats.  Really? What a freak!

I had the following symptoms during this time (NOTE: this is what I experienced so if you're expecting and experiencing something similar and you're unsure of what may be happening in your body then please consult your midwife or OB).

  • lower back pain (like a band around my low waist)
  • menstrual like cramps
  • intermittent contractions (more than just Braxton Hicks
  • pelvic pressure between my legs (like a bowling ball hanging down)
  • fatigue and difficulty walking 
We were planning a Home Birth but in Florida a midwife is legally not allowed to assist in a birth if the mother is not 37 weeks or more.  I was outta luck yo! My birth location quickly went out the door along with my mucous plug.  Smell ya later!

So I HAD to go to the hospital.  I. was. not. happy.
(I'll write another post about Sabrina's birth and all the details for you birth junkies alike or not)  


Sabrina was born on January 8, 2004 @ 10:56 a.m.  She was PERFECT...

Because she was considered a premie, the hospital took precautions in how they handled her.
Her APGAR score was 9/9 (an apgar is a quick test performed 1 & 5 minutes after birth) which is near perfect.  She had no trouble breathing BUT she was still whisked away to the NICU.  Considering her early arrival, she weighed in at 5lbs 6 oz and was 18 1/2 inches.  Not bad!

Sabrina spent 9 days in the NICU.  9 days... (sniff, sniff)
Her stay was mere 'protocol' on the hospital's part as they had her on antibiotics.
Oddly enough, all her tests were negative for infection and any other risk to her little life but the hospital followed their 'protocol' and that was that.  Either way it was difficult for us as new parents to have to start out our early parenting days this way.  But she was here and we were thrilled!


Sabrina minutes out of the womb


We couldn't believe she was here!


Her first visitor in NICU was Daddy...


Blue light special: 5 lbs 6 oz baby girl = Perfect! 


Dear Sabrina,
We love you more than this gigantic universe little ladybug! 
Your birth was your unique signature and we adore every part of it.  
Happy Premie Day baby girl! 
~Mommy & Daddy~

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Site Design By Designer Blogs