The Year of the Horse: A Love Story

It's the year of the horse and I've been invited to a Chinese New Year's party
by my apartment neighbor.

I'm reluctant to go.  I'm not much of a 'people I don't know' party person.  But my neighbor convinces me after he tells me that I don't have to stay too long.  I live alone and my only two obligations are my school and full time job.  I'm 24 years old and my big plan is to attend law school.  

I don't get too dressed up for the party; simple black leggings, a black microfiber tank, a long-sleeved burgundy crocheted sweater that ties only at the center of my torso and black thong sandaled heels.  I leave my hair in it's natural state with curls and locks abound.  

I arrive at the party after passing the house twice before.  The house is bursting with people.  
There's a large rectangular table at the center of the dining room with an assortment of Chinese food—Chow mien, Lo Mien, Fried rice, Won Ton soup, ribs, sweet n sour chicken and fortune cookies.  Also, beer and wine galore.  

I don't drink much alcohol and I'm not that hungry.  I see my neighbor. 

"Hey! You made it! Come, come, let me introduce you." 

"Hi!  Yes, thanks for the invite again." I say. 

I quickly meet a couple of his friends and then he ushers me off to serve myself a plate of food.    

I serve myself a spoonful of fried rice and one piece of sweet n sour chicken, to show that 'I'm eating.' 

Thirty minutes slowly pass by.  I'm not enjoying myself.  I prepare my car keys to leave but my neighbor spots me trying to dash.

"Hey, you're leaving so fast?" 

"Yeah... I had a long day at work.  Preparing for trial.  I'm a bit tired." I say.  
It's a half lie.  The work part is true but my real plans for the evening include going to read a book at my local Starbucks.  But I'm grateful that he invited me.

"Wait, before you go you have to participate in the ritual!"

"The ritual?  What ritual?" I say with all the skepticism I can muster up in one sentence.    

"Come, come, you'll see." He says excitedly.  

He takes my hand and we walk out to the backyard of the house.  

I'm a little nervous.  I'm not the most trusting of people.  I begin to ask myself dumb questions like, 'Why did I agree to come to this stupid party.  I hope this isn't an swingers gathering.  
Goodness, I need to get the hello out of here!'

There's a gigantic bon fire in the center of the yard.  There are double the amount of people in the backyard.

My friend hands me two items. 

"Here, take this fake paper money and candle."

"What's this for?" 

"Go over to that bon fire with your items and make a wish.  Then, throw your candle and paper money in."

"A wish?  Are you serious?"

"Yeah! Come on! It's the Chinese New Year!"  He smiles and directs me to the flames.  

I think this is so ridiculous.  I don't make wishes.  What in the world am I supposed to wish for?

Some minutes pass.  I watch others dance around, kiss, throw their candles and fake paper money into the flames.  I stand there, still trying to think up a wish.  

I slowly walk closer to the flames, I look up at the night sky, laughter and voices all around me.  Then it comes to me, the wish.  I repeat it to myself: I wish for happiness.  If something is bound to bring me happiness, I welcome it.  Otherwise, I want nothing to do with it.  

I close my eyes, kiss the fake paper money and toss it in along with the candle.  

I say good-bye to my friend and head on home to pick up my book to go read at Starbucks.

I'm happy.  Alone and very happy.   

I stop at a local 7-Eleven before going home.  I purchase a lottery ticket.  I never do this.  

I arrive at Starbucks, grab a table in the patio and finally sit to read my book.  

Thirty minutes of reading pass by when a handsome gentleman approaches me and asks, 

"Excuse me?" I raise my head from my book.  "Do you think I could share this table with you?  I'd hate to hog one up all for myself."  His crisp blue eyes and gray knit shirt make a perfect pairing.  

"Sure! Go right ahead." I say as I motion to the empty chair in front of me.

He sits, turns his body away from me, plugs in his earphones and cracks open his book.  I resume reading my book.  His Starbucks 'Venti' cup has a tea tag hanging from one side.  I'm not drinking anything.

It's Saturday night and there is no other place I'd rather be than right here, at this table, reading.

The corner Starbucks is saturated with coffee drinkers, social groups, book lovers and smokers on this crisp February evening.  I enjoy being out alone with zero obligations.  The gentleman now sitting across from me seems to be enjoying the same.

I continue to read.  He also is reading.  After twenty minutes, I take a break, place my book face down, remove my reading glasses and stretch a bit of my sleeves down to my hands.

"It's a little chilly tonight, eh?" He asks.

"Yeah.  A bit." I respond.

We start to converse.  Small talk at first which later leads to more engaging conversation.

"Are you married?" I ask.

"No." He says.

"Any children?"

"No." He responds with a slight smile.

He asks me similar questions and I give him exactly the same answers he has given me.

The hours at Starbuck's pass by quickly.  Our conversation goes on for hours.  We realize that it's closing time and an employee kicks us out of the patio.  

We're not ready for the evening to end.

It doesn't end.

We talk until 7:30 a.m.  The time does not matter to us.  We've spend a total of nine hours talking, sharing and laughing.  It seems like just a couple of hours to us.  We are enthralled with each other's company and conversation.

It has remained this way ever since...

That evening became the beginning of our love and life together.  I would have never imagined it to happen this way but it's what was meant to be.

Ten years ago today, on a chilly February evening, my husband and I met at Starbucks.

It was an evening where the stars were aligned, a wish was made and a lottery ticket bought, which resulted in a chance encounter.  We were two people wanting to do the very same thing on the very same night which was simply to enjoy a night of reading a book while perfectly content with our own company.  Now we get to share a lifetime of love and 'happiness' together...

Happy 10 year Anniversary, my love...♥  

Here we are, today, at 'the' Starbuck's we met at 10 years ago.  

1 comment:

lola said...

wow i love it! felt like i was watching a movie, congrats to the both of you. i believe in laws of attraction and i believe you guys were destined to meet that night. How awesome that u guys go back there on your anniversary! Congrats! LL

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Site Design By Designer Blogs