I'm not crazy

I went to the hospital yesterday afternoon because I was experiencing chest pressure, difficulty breathing, my heart pounding and an extreme FEAR that I was going to die.

I was having a full blown and quite severe panic attack.  The worst one ever.

Let's just start by saying that there is nothing fun about feeling like you're about to die while alone with your three children.  Darling hubby was working one and a half hours away from home and I was running errands with the girls.

You should know that when I reach the point to call my husband for help because I don't feel well, it. is. serious.  I'm notorious for NOT asking for help.  I need to work on that.  

After I called DH, he advised me to go home and that he would leave work as soon as possible.  Thankfully, he also called his mother to come to the house and help me.

Once my MIL arrived, she convinced me to go to the hospital because she saw the worry and fear in me.  I was so afraid that I was going to have a heart attack.  Yes, a heart attack because it doesn't matter how young you are or how much friggin' exercise you do or how well you eat, ANYONE can have a heart attack.

THAT idea scared the shit out of me.

I wasn't interested in the 'til death do us part' aspect my life YET.  Leave me alone black reaper!

Seriously, a panic attack is nothing to take lightly.  It's real.  It's a disorder.  I'm not crazy.

At the hospital after the EKG, chest X-ray and blood work all came back 'normal', I was given a Xanax to calm me down.

I had never taken a drug for my psychological issues.  The Xanax worked in this instance and within an hour after taking it, I was discharged with "the good news is, 'you're not crazy', nor are you headed that way."  Yes, that was written in the discharge notes.

"Gee, thanks!" I thought.

I was also given an Rx for Klonopin.  I haven't decided just yet if I'm going to get that prescription filled.  Although, I do fear having another one of these episodes while alone and with the girls.

I found this informative and hilarious video describing a panic attack.

I DO shop at Whole Foods and I am NORMAL ;)

I WILL overcome this.  I WILL share my experience here.  I WILL inevitably help someone else going through this because we are NOT alone.

*I was not paid or compensated to write this post.  All opinions belong to me.*

1 comment:

The818 said...

This is a great post, Vanessa. I love that your doctor wrote that in your discharge notes. :)

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Site Design By Designer Blogs