An Open Letter to Parents

Dear Fellow Parents,

I've found that being a parent has its rewards and struggles. Not everyday is a lovely, happy, exciting or spectacular day.

Then there are days that you feel like you're walking on a happy cloud, completely sober and actually enjoying every single moment with your child(ren).  I love these days.  I want to savor and soak up every single ounce of it.

Parenting is hard.  We love our children like we've never loved a living creature on earth before.
We wish upon them all the beauty and love that this life has to offer.

We make mistakes along the way.    

I was raised by an emotionally absent mother and my father was absent from my life until I was seventeen.  I had to make the best of my situation.  It was not easy.  Still, I love both of my parents and forgive their mistakes.  I'm no better than anyone else out there.  We all have a story to tell, some worse than others.

But this is not about my story, no, this is about parents as a whole.

I'm often struck at the level of unkindness and judgments that are placed upon parents.
Parents are not perfect in any way shape or form.  Parents are regular people trying to make the best decisions for their children.

There seems to be a giant void in the circle of parents.  This void encompasses all of our fears, challenges, struggles, inadequacies and insecurities.  These emotions are not easy for most of us.
We are complex in every way.

My question to most parents out there is this: Who are WE to judge other parents?

Why?

How does judging our fears, challenges, struggles, inadequacies and insecurities make us better parents?

Why?

How does kicking another parent when they're down make us better than them?

This makes me hurt.  This makes me sad.  This makes me question my fellow parents' level of love and compassion toward me and other parents.

I believe that every parent may face an incredibly challenging, scary or even life altering moment at some point in their parenting lives.  If and when this happens, parents will come looking for other parents' support and compassion, no matter what our differences may be.

I'd like to know that no matter our differences in parenting styles, disciplinary choices, rearing choices, etc., that parents as a whole will *try* to embrace a broader level of compassion and love toward one another.  

No one will ever know what it's like to live in another parents' shoes because we are all unique in our own ways.  No one will ever truly know our own children the way we the parents do.

Parents, let's be a bit kinder toward one another.

Parent's, let's be more compassionate toward one another.

Parents, let's be more respectful toward one another.

Parents, let's SHOW our children that we can live in a world where there are many differences but the one thing that speaks a universal language is LOVE and COMPASSION.

Sincerely & Compassionately,    

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Site Design By Designer Blogs