Balancing Holiday Stress: Keeping it simple



The holidays.  Oh what a lovely thought... sometimes not! The truth is that the holidays mean a slew of different things to a slew of different people.

What do the holidays mean to me?  Seeing the adorable wonder lit faces of my daughters' delight and excitement and love for life.  The fun holiday crafts we create together...  The cute dresses I sew (or try to at least) for them... And the oh so many other wonderful memories that we create together.  The silly moments and the meltdowns.

And, well... It also means dealing with the stress of family and parties.  I know, I know, I sound like a big green grinch but please read me out.  Seriously!  You're hearing all this from a person who is BIG on family, I just hate all the drama...(sigh)...but it is what it is.  Right?!

Holidays = Stress.  Period.  I have yet to meet anyone who revels in the commotion of sticking family together like a melted grilled cheese sandwich during the holidays.  Uh... not a pretty sight.


Those who disagree, please do peer your heads out of your hallow trees and generous hospitality!  I'd love to meet you! (Don't mean to sound like a Grinch!  Just saying...)


But I will add that it doesn't have to be so stressfully sticky.  My case in point.  So how do you balance the stress of 'some' of it?  

Image via Evite


  • If you're hosting a holiday party (like moi!) don't try to do it ALL yourself.  Be specific with your 'party helpers' and offer up a Potluck dinner.  That way, if there are gluten-free, no meat eaters, dairy allergic people coming to join you for your holiday dinner, you can be sure that they'll bring what they CAN eat.  Simple.  

Image via Google

  • Don't try to be Martha Stewart (I love MS, btw) with complicated crafts for kids to do while waiting to eat dinner at your holiday party.  Stick to simple holiday foam stickers on paper OR cover the kids dinner table with brown paper and place crayons in little buckets for them to color away.  Simple.

Image via Google 

  • Don't over invite guests.  Keep your guest list to a comfortable minimum (even if you have a large family like me.) I invite my immediate family ONLY.  Otherwise, you're bound to not enjoy your evening due to too many people.  I know that I cannot tend to everyone so I don't worry about whose feelings will get hurt if I don't invite them.  Keep it simple.  

I know all of this may sound so ridiculously SIMPLE but I assure you that if you try to do some of it or all it, then you're bound to have much less stress than your little hearts intended.  There is no PERFECT anything so if you strive for perfection then you'll be gravely disappointed.  Just do your best and forget the rest and enjoy the wonderful time we're allotted ever year alongside our families (or not).

I plan to video interview the kiddies coming to my holiday party and will be asking them on their take of Mr. 'HO, HO, HO' SANTA.  Should be fun! Happy holiday planning to my lovely readers!


Keeping it simple...MUAH! 

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Site Design By Designer Blogs