de-cluttering {get started}

So you're among the many parents that have wayyyy too many toys for your kids.  We've all been there (or are still there).  They didn't appear on their own, no, us parents allowed them to come in to the house, stay and take over the living space, bedrooms, bathrooms, yada, yada, yada.  So now you've had it up to (you know where) with all the toys, toys, toys.

More than 50% of the toys your children have don't even get played with.  I know that this is a fact because I've experienced this and the many many other parents that I've spoken to about the issue have as well.  So what do you do?

D-E-C-L-U-T-T-E-R is what you do! DeclutterDeclutterDecutter is all you need to think about.  As a follow up to a post I wrote two years ago, I'll give you some tips on how to get your house or space or kid's room looking less cluttered and much more livable AGAIN.  I still stand by the idea that less is more but we each have to arrive at that place at our own time.

There is nothing worse than feeling like you cannot invite people over to your home because the clutter of stuff (in this case toys) is so distracting and unpleasant to be around that you simply avoid the entire commitment.  Just the other day my hubby mentioned to me that a family member needs to have a trusted friend come over their house to do some work but he's actually embarrassed about how cluttered and out of control his child's toy issue has gotten.  Perhaps these tips will put their cluttered issue into perspective to get started.  I call it the DREAD method because we all dread having to wade through the tedious task of getting rid of stuff.  It's time consuming, overwhelming and exhausting BUT you'll feel damn good once you're done and clutter free (or simply have less).


  • Donate
One of the easiest ways to get rid of stuff is to donate them to a better cause.  It can be Goodwill, a local charity or church, a family in need or whatever you deem appropriate.  Donating is a selfless act because you know that the one thing you're going to get out of it is simply a good feeling of either making someones day or making a small or big difference to a cause plus less stuff in your home.  You can even include your children in this.  It'll be a great way to for them to learn a little appreciation for the abundant things in life.
  • Rotate
The Real Estate jargon is, Location, Location, Location.  Similarly, the kid room jargon is Rotate, Rotate, Rotate.  I cannot tell you enough how much easier it will be to deal with toy overload if once a month you remove the toys your child has barely looked at, spat on or dunked in the toilet and replace them with old/new toys that you’ve had stored since their last Birthday or Christmas gift.  They’ll express an eager interest to play with the ‘new’ stuff you put out for them.  But remember to keep the rotate pile to a minimum, i.e., a small box you can easily store without it being obtrusive.  
  • Exterminate
Okay, okay, I know this sounds radical but let's face it, some toys have seen better days, seriously! If truth be told, how do you know that your kid wouldn't want to incinerate the pathetic thing it if they could?! Hmmm?? Now, don't go playing with fire because there is always the easy peasy 'toss in the garbage' method.  Can you say, 'next!'?  We all have some exterminating worthy things that can be put out of their own misery.
  • Apply Feng Shui
Feng what? Feng Shui is an ancient Chinese art that is used to balance out energies in any given space.  The way to apply it to toys or to your kid’s room would be to use one rule of thumb and that is, if two things come into the room then two things go out.  The same rule is applied to any item or article of clothing as well.  The idea is to keep a balance in the amount of things present without disrupting the space your child plays, sleeps or studies in.   If your child does not love it then you don't need it.  I know that this seems much easier said than done but it is achievable, believe me.  You don't have to become a Minimalist or anything but it does help to bear these ideas in mind.
  • Do not change your mind later

So now you've de-cluttered your space, room, whatever and those funny feelings of 'emotional attachment' start creeping in and you start to re-sort the stuff that you just removed.  Do your best to resist the urge to say to yourself 'ohbutthisissosocuteandIrememberwhenIboughtitandhowIfeltwhen...' don't do it! I'm telling you, don't even think that way because then you are doomed to a case of permanent unrealistic and emotional attachment to stuff or toys or whatever.  Step. Away. From. The. Toys.  Now!

Lastly, you CAN store your kids toys in a fun and cute way also.  Here are some ways I've gotten my girls toys and things in tidy order.  I like to keep things to a minimum so my solutions are simple and uncomplicated.


This started out as the small toy corner.  You know, the little annoying toys that end up getting kicked under the bed or stepped on when we're about to tuck them in to bed.  Yeah, those pesky ones! So now we've converted this nook into another book corner because we love, love, love books! 


The books here are mainly board books that have been passed down to my youngest daughter (she's 3 years old).  Now her older sister gets to read most of them to her which I think is sweet and cute.  


The far right side wicker baskets lined in polka dots is where I keep their shoes stored.  The cubby they sit in were originally stackable book cases.  I have super small closets in my house which inevitably forces me to keep the essentials and not an overflowing amount of 'just in case' things on hand.  
I've learned to appreciate this.    


Believe it or not, I've reduced their small toys down to this ONE cloth storage box.  
The older two were happy to take part in deciding what to keep and what not.  
They were reasonable about it too! 
I found this cute Kitty box at The Container Store for $6.99.  Score! 


These are simple small canvas baskets from PBKids.  I may have gotten these on sale too.  
I use these for games or little stuffed animals.  My girls LOVE stuffed animals.     


The second stackable book shelf turned into a second shoe storage for the girls.
Sabrina baskets with liners from PBkids.   


Did I mention that we LOVE books?  Yeah, we really love books... 
(I took a writing seminar with the author of TANGO


I started receiving these books by mail when my eldest was just a few months old.  
She'll be 8 years old in five months and we're still enjoying them all! 


Happy de-cluttering! If you have other ideas or would like to share your thoughts on this task, feel free in the comments below.  I'd love to hear from you.  


No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Site Design By Designer Blogs