Birthday suit: My daughter's body image

My eldest turned eight years old! Happy Birthday to my sweet girl! Sabrina is the bright ray of sunlight that made me a mother and enveloped me in her noble and compassionate love ♥ 01.08.12  I love you baby girl!

We had a fabulous birthday celebration for Sabrina (I'll post a separate one of the party).  We started the special weekend on Saturday and it went on into Sunday (the actual day).

We had another picnic by the shore.  She simply loves being this close to nature.  We invited some close friends to come along, my dear friend and her two boys.

Sabrina confessed to us recently that she has a 'crush' on my friend's older son, Maximo.  We also later found out that, well, Maximo has a 'crush' on Sabrina as well.  You can imagine all the 'puppy love' happening when they get together.  A very subtle and pal-like 'crush' is what they display.

Sabrina was all excited about the fact that I'd let her wear her bathing suit this time for her to play IN the water.  Unlike the last time.

Earlier that day, Sabrina confided in her father with a dilemma she was facing.

*As interpreted by my 'darling husband'

S: "Daddy, I need to tell you something."

DH: "Okay, sure, tell me."

S: "I kind of think that I shouldn't wear my bathing suit to the picnic today."

DH: "Why, honey?"

S: "Because I don't want Maximo to see me in it."

DH: "Oh, no, don't be silly.  Why?"

S: "Daddy, because I have a NICE body and I don't want Maximo to like me for my body."

*DH was trying to keep himself from bursting into laughter at this point* 


DH: "Sabrina, I don't think he's going to look at you in THAT way.  You have nothing to worry about."

S: "Really, Daddy? Okay, then I'll wear it."

When DH approached me about this dilemma, I was expecting quite the opposite reaction from Sabrina because had that been an 8 year old ME, I would have totally had a HUGE complex about my body.  Because I DID when I was her age.  I was self-conscious, shy, worried and simply hated the idea of even putting a bathing suit on.

Me. Age 11-It took me 3 scoops of courage to step out and get photographed here.

My body image complexes continued on into my early twenties.  I was obsessed with 'looking' skinny and wearing a tiny clothing size and simply had no interest in accepting my body as it was.  I hadn't realized that my body was indeed perfect in every way because I lived in it.  

Me. Age 11.  I didn't love my body.  

My daughter has arrived at a place that took me much longer to realize.  She loves her body.  She accepts herself as she IS.  She's aware that her body has power and beauty.  She 'knows' that her opposite sex will possibly 'see' these things in her as well.  I'm happy that she's aware of this fact.  She's not shy and doesn't put herself down.  My Sabrina simply enjoys the fact that she loves her body.  Period.  I.  love.  this. 

I could have definitely learned a thing or two from my daughter when I was younger.  She's taught me so much in eight years.  The best lesson has been to allow myself to BE who I AM no matter what.  She IS this.  She LIVES it and SHARES it with the world.   

Sabrina enjoyed her picnic.

She played in the water.

She wore her bathing suit.

Most of all, she loved herself in her suit and the fact that she didn't mind Maximo seeing her in it as well.  

Sabrina tossing a rock in her suit.  Maximo is the one picking one up and his brother, Joaquin is considering another rock to throw.  Simple fun at a picnic by the shore.  



Confidence is looking at you... 



No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Site Design By Designer Blogs