My Scary Monster

                                 Source

This is probably one of the most debilitating issues for me to deal with.  I get panic attacks.  Often.

Panic attacks are random.  They are REAL.  The worse part, they scare the hell out of me.

"Panic attacks may be symptoms of an anxiety disorder. These attacks are a serious health problem in the U.S. At least 20% of adult Americans, or about 60 million people, will suffer from panic attacks at some point in their lives. About 1.7% of adult Americans, or about 3 million people, will have full-blown panic disorder at some time in their lives, twice as often for women than men." Source
This past weekend I had a more serious one happen to me.

We were having lunch at my in law's when out of nowhere I began to feel the room closing in on me, it was becoming increasingly difficult for me to breathe, my heart was racing, my hands were shaking and I felt nauseated.

I was afraid I was about to throw up at the lunch table.  Goodness, that would've been a disaster!

I tried, I tried really hard to hide it but I couldn't.  I had to get up from the lunch table and walk to a back room with my husband.

He sat with me.  He held my trembling hands.  He tried to make me laugh, you know, to get me to think of something else but no, it didn't work.  I began to slowly inch into hyperventilation and then started to bawl like a two year old.

It was awful.

I kept apologizing to my husband.  He told me that I was silly to apologize.  I didn't believe him because I was so ashamed of my momentary condition.  But I'm so grateful he's always here for me during my 'crawling' moments.

I was out of control.  Desperate.  Suffocating.  Scared.

It lasted about fifteen minutes.


For as long as I could remember I've experienced symptoms of anxiety, panic and depression (starting around age 3).

My depression was ignited with the temporary abandonment by my mother.
I remember crying a lot for her to come back.

I later experienced PTSD (Post Traumatic Stress Disorder) at age four.
It was after a man my mother was dating pointed the barrel of a gun to my left temple and threatened to kill me in front of her.  I believe he must've shot the gun because I can recall bits and pieces of that day.  I vividly remember the cold gun to my head and later the loud ringing sound in my ears while I was crying hysterically in my mother's lap.  Whatever happened in between, I blocked out.

At around age six I began to experience anxiety from the sexual molestation.

I've seen therapists and psychologists before.  I've been diagnosed but never medicated.

I'm a believer in alternative medicine, i.e., Chiropractic and/or auricular therapy.  Since my darling husband is a Chiropractor, I get treated here at home.  Thankfully.  

I'd like to exhaust all of my alternative possibilities before I attempt anything else but I am open to other alternatives, if need be.

The pain of all this is the hardest.  I try my very best to stay positive.  Sometimes I falter.

I'm not perfect.  

Still, I continue to look for the beauty and magical moments this life has to offer because all these moments are precious and I know that I matter to many...

This is my scary monster but I will not let it eat me up.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Site Design By Designer Blogs